Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hello and First Project

I decided to start a new blog because my personal blog was basically becoming all about sewing.  So I figured I should just start a blog devoted to that.

And this is a good time because I just finished my VERY.  FIRST.  QUILT.  And I can honestly say I'm prouder of this than I am of anything else I've ever made, with the possible exception of my two children.

The picture does not do the colors justice.  It does an incredible job of brightening up my bedroom which is covered with depressing gray fake wood paneling (previous homeowners, why did you do that?).  Plus our cat, Juneau, really enjoys it.


I'll be honest - it has a bout a hundred mistakes.  Very few of the seams between the blocks line up evenly.  I've seen patchwork quilts that are flawless grids, and this is far from that.  I also had some areas on the binding where it didn't quite catch the quilt top, so I had to go back and re-sew it together. 


I don't mind, though.  I used to work at a living history museum and at one point the employees were working on making a reproduction of a log cabin quilt.  One of the quilt squares on the original quilt had a log that was sewn from two little pieces of fabric instead of one long piece.  I always loved that because it showed that the quilt was sewn by a real person.  I'm not sure if my quilt will hold together for generations, but it makes me smile to think of my future granddaughter snuggling under my quilt and looking at my little bits of hand sewing and knowing it meant that it was made lovingly by a real person. 

I'm already planning my next quilt - a cozy, comfortable one for my kids to snuggle under while they're in the living room.  It's definitely going to be smaller than this one...making a queen-sized quilt was a huge undertaking and I'm hoping a smaller one will be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment