Today I did a little work on the Carpenter's Wheel quilt. Nearly at my due date and still able to use a treadle sewing machine - that proves how easy they are to use!
The set-up I use for piecing and straight-line quilting is actually a combination of two sewing machines - I had a sewing machine head that I was able to oil up and use, but the cabinet was in pieces. I bought a second 27 (I felt sorry for it!) with a completely frozen head, but a cabinet that was at least intact. They were both made in the same giant batch of Singer 27s in 1901, so I don't feel bad about smooshing them both together.
Some people may think that the second 27 was a poor purchase, but the cabinet came stuffed with goodies in the drawers - machine manuals (how cool!) and a big box of attachments. Attachments to make hems, attachments to make ruffles, attachments to shirr fabric, and an attachment to quilt.
There it is! It's just a guide bar to help you follow lines you've quilted previously. They still make them for modern machines and they look a lot the same. They work the same too.
The quilting is not actually that puckered, I just neglected to smooth it out before I took a photo. Oops.
The quilting bar wasn't expensive - 20 cents in 1901, which is about $5.50 in today's money. I forget how much the whole box cost, but it was pretty expensive. I'm so lucky that I found one!