Tuesday, July 29, 2014

New space

Lately I've been working on re-arranging the basement. I have my sewing area down there, and my husband has an area where he does projects. I thought we could use our space better, and make a new and better space for the kids to play, if we moved things around.

My spot is done. Here it is!


I don't usually keep my machines out of their tables - I did it just for this picture. I kind of love it, though, seeing all those old machines out and ready for work. I'd love to host a treadle workshop sometime...if only my house was bigger (this is actually less than 1/4 of the basement of my 900 square foot house).


This cabinet came with the house. The previous owner was a school custodian, and this looks an awful lot like cabinets I've seen in schools' science labs around the district. I absolutely love it.


This is what the rest of the basement looks like. I'm going to get a tablecloth with a flannel backside and tack it up over the shelves. I'll FINALLY have a design wall! Oh, and the shelves will be covered too.

I cleaned out my old corner of the basement and I've started setting up things for the kids there. I feel sentimental, which is silly, considering that I'm just on the other side of a shelving unit from my old corner. However, I'm really excited about what my kids' new space will look like!

Like I said, my house is around 900 square feet. I share it with a husband, three kids, and three cats. It's cozy and we have to use every inch well, which is why I'm so glad that I have my own space in the basement for my machines and my sewing. I feel really lucky. I also think it's good for my kids to see someone modeling how rewarding it can be to make things by hand and follow creative pursuits.

This past weekend we had a rummage sale. We did fairly well. I had the White Rotary in the garage and for our rummage sale I dragged it around onto the porch so I could sew while watching our merchandise.


It was really nice! Later I moved the machine into the basement and put all of its drawers in. Now it's ready for regular use.

Right now in between working on machines and arranging my space I'm also working on a quilt for my cousin. I'll have to post pictures soon...it's just a patchwork quilt but I think it'll be really pretty!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely space. When our kids were little, we lived in less than 1200 sq ft, but, no basements in our house. I didn't quilt then, and didn't collect machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think little kids don't always mind cozy living spaces. My kids like to be on top of me whenever I sit down, so it wouldn't matter how big my house was, they'd always be within 10 feet of me!

      Delete
  2. Does the 900 sq feet include the basement? Around here, finished basements are included so they can charge more for the house. :)
    I love your space, My sewing room is getting very cluttered and I really need to figure out a better way to set it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't include the basement...that's just the first floor. In Wisconsin we don't count the basement as livable square footage unless there are two exits in case of fire (most of the time that means the stairs and a big egress window). I need to finish cleaning the rest of my basement. We've lived here for five years now, and it's time for some things to go!

      Delete