Saturday, March 31, 2012

%$&#*%#$

I've been working on a rail fence quilt for a while now.  Piecing the top went okay, but quilting it has just been rough.  It's the first time I've done free-motion quilting on anything larger than a mini-quilt and it's surprisingly tough.  At first I was plagued by needles and thread breaking, but I got into the rhythm eventually.  I'm doing eight columns of free-motion quilting, and tonight I finished the third.  It was tough, and I had to stop and start several times.  I wasn't really happy with the quality of sewing, but by the end it was going much better and I was relieved to have it done.

I decided to flip the quilt over so I could check out the back.  And that's when I saw it.  I had somehow let the edge turn under, and had sewn over it.  I had sewn the quilt to itself.  The edge of my quilt is now firmly sewn in place, about twelve inches into my quilt. 

A cursory inspection showed that there would be no way to fix it except to rip out almost all of my quilting in that section.  In a way, it's a blessing, because I wasn't happy with my sewing but I couldn't bring myself to undo it all just because it wasn't pretty.

And yet, I still put it off until tomorrow.  I just can't face it tonight. 

I've often said that I don't have the patience for hand quilting, but I bet this stuff wouldn't happen if I quilted by hand.  Maybe I should consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment