I've been working on a rail fence quilt for a while now. Piecing the top went okay, but quilting it has just been rough. It's the first time I've done free-motion quilting on anything larger than a mini-quilt and it's surprisingly tough. At first I was plagued by needles and thread breaking, but I got into the rhythm eventually. I'm doing eight columns of free-motion quilting, and tonight I finished the third. It was tough, and I had to stop and start several times. I wasn't really happy with the quality of sewing, but by the end it was going much better and I was relieved to have it done.
I decided to flip the quilt over so I could check out the back. And that's when I saw it. I had somehow let the edge turn under, and had sewn over it. I had sewn the quilt to itself. The edge of my quilt is now firmly sewn in place, about twelve inches into my quilt.
A cursory inspection showed that there would be no way to fix it except to rip out almost all of my quilting in that section. In a way, it's a blessing, because I wasn't happy with my sewing but I couldn't bring myself to undo it all just because it wasn't pretty.
And yet, I still put it off until tomorrow. I just can't face it tonight.
I've often said that I don't have the patience for hand quilting, but I bet this stuff wouldn't happen if I quilted by hand. Maybe I should consider it.