Sunday, March 10, 2013

Booties!

I missed my local modern quilt guild's sew day because both of my kids were sick.  The poor kids had fevers that bounced between 101 and 103 degrees, so there was a lot of passing out Tylenol, thinking of quiet activities to keep little hands busy, cuddling, and watching kids' TV.  I hope we're almost at the end of this.

I did get downstairs for a little while to do some sewing.  I bought a pattern for baby booties from the Make It & Love It shop.  When I bought it both my sister and I knew we were pregnant, but neither one of us knew what we were having.  So, I decided to buy the Bradley Booties pattern.  Even though it's the "boy" pattern I figured I could girly it up with cute fabrics if one of us had a girl.

Well, she's having a boy and I'm having a girl, so yesterday I decided to sew up some booties.  I love quilting, but I rarely sew anything three-dimensional, like clothes.  I was kind of apprehensive, but the instructions included 28 pages of text and photos to show you how it's done.  In the end it really wasn't that bad!

This is my test pair.  There isn't supposed to be an exposed seam on the back inside of the shoe - I messed that part up.  But I think I understand what I did and will do better on the next pair.


I think they look sufficiently girly. 

I've been tossing around ideas of what to sew with leather, and I think I'm going to try to make the biggest size of booties with them.  The pattern includes four sizes to get you through the first year of the baby's life, but the kid won't be walking around in her shoes until around 12 months, so those are really the only ones that need to be a little durable. 

I think I'm going to sew up four pairs for my daughter, four pairs for my nephew, and maybe a pair for my cousin to put on top of her baby shower present.  How cute would that be - a wrapped present topped with a pair of tiny booties?  They're surprisingly fun to sew up.  I can't wait to make another pair!

2 comments:

  1. They are very cute, the leather ones are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It make me want to try more clothing-type projects!

      Delete