The other change is the pattern...that barn raising thing is HARD. At least for me, it is. So I abandoned the idea of doing that, and laid out the squares like this instead.
So anyway, back to the squares. I'm not crazy about the layout. I tried a few others and didn't like them either. I'm also not happy with the colors. In fact, you can see that I messed up lower right square in the picture above, but I'm not sure I'll bother to go back and fix it. At this point I'd be tempted to scrap the whole project, but my son is already attached to "his" quilt. I just keep reminding myself that this is a learning process, and that the most important part of this is what I learn, not what I produce. I have years, even decades to make the perfect barn raising log cabin quilt. Turning out a less-than-ideal quilt is not a bad thing if I learn from it.
Still, I wish I'd picked better fabrics. Damn.