Saturday, December 17, 2011

Year in Review

I started cutting square for my first quilt in June of this year.  I did it because I hated the comforter on my bed, and I wanted a replacement.  I felt guilty about buying a new one since we'd just purchased ours less than a year prior, so I figured I'd sew a quilt.  At the time I was learning to sew clothes, and I figured a quilt would be a fun one-time project.  Something big I could point to and say, "Look what I did!"  So I made this.


Little did I know how much I'd love quilting.  I work at a school and this year has been challenging in a number of ways.  Sewing has been a great stress reliever.  I find that I feel much more renewed after an evening of sewing than I do after an evening of watching TV.

Also, I get to make stuff for my son...

...and daughter.  They like their lap blankets, and my son refers to his as "my very own quilt."


I also finished this quilt for my mother-in-law.  I hope she likes it.


And this project isn't quite done yet, but it will be soon.  It's the front of a floor pillow I made for the kids.  It was made from a charm pack, so I didn't have to do as much cutting as usual.


I never knew how satisfying this hobby could be.  I'm so glad we had an ugly comforter, otherwise I'd never have started quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment