I really thought that last Sunday would be my last linking up with UFO Sundays at the Free Motion Quilting Project. My list of projects that are undone or ongoing is relatively short, so after I finished my mug rug and trashed my wall hanging I figured I'd be done.
But, to be honest, I have one more UFO. This.
My Floating Dresdens quilt. I basted it nearly three weeks ago, and then rolled it up and haven't touched it since. I know three weeks isn't long, but usually when I baste a quilt I'm on it the next day, quilting it up. Not this time.
I could say that I was busy getting acquainted with my Singer 115. I could say I was trying to get the tension just perfect on that machine before I quilted with it. I could say I was trying to make headway on my double slice quilt, or that I was tired from returning to work for the new school year, or any number of things. They'd all have a bit of truth to them, but the real reason is, I'm nervous about quilting this thing.
When I got background fabric I decided I didn't want a seam running down the middle of it, so I just got 90" wide backing fabric. Dumb move. That fabric is flimsy and I fear that it won't withstand sewing, then ripping out, then more sewing. I want to get it right the first time, instead of making mistakes, ripping them out, and having a quilt that looks mangled and punctured. I've drawn quilting patterns on top of a picture of it (Procreate is a great app for that) but I'm not sure it'll really look the same when done in thread.
I'm just going to do loose, slightly wavy lines going from the upper left corner to the lower right. I think. I don't know!
Last night I figured I need to just sew a seam in this and get on with it. Living with a mistake would be easier than agonizing over an unfinished quilt. So I unrolled it and put it on my machine. I sewed about twelve inches and snapped my thread twice. Stupid cheap thread! I wanted to keep going but that was the only white thread I had (how the heck did I run out of WHITE?) so I shelved it again.
However, in that time I got a little preview of how challenging it would be to quilt a nearly queen-size quilt with lines that would flow across its entire length. It would mean wrestling with the quilt a lot. When I quilt with smaller designs it means making little movements and only shifting the entire quilt once in a while. It would also mean having to stop to take out pins (I pin baste since I'm allergic to some chemicals and would hate to put chemical-laden spray baste on something I'll be cuddling with), which might affect the flow of the quilting.
I'll have to do some reading and planning, but it feels good to start addressing the issues on this quilt instead of just letting it sit on a shelf.