Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Guilt-free

Tonight I was working on quilting my mother-in-law's quilt, and I ran out of white thread.  Weird, huh?  Anyway, since I couldn't do any more work on her quilt I decided to do some work on my own personal project.  Lately I've felt guilty working on my project because I really do need to hustle on hers to get it done my Christmas, but this evening I was able to work guilt-free.

I really wanted to make a log cabin quilt in a barn raising arrangement out of scraps.  Just scraps.  And I actually pieced a block made half of colored scraps, half of white scraps.  But it just didn't seem right to me.  So instead, I decided to make a housetop-style quilt with all of my scraps (and some fat quarters, since I didn't have scraps in every color).

Here's what it looks like so far.


It's weird-looking.

However.  I do think that once I have more colors - purple and red and green - it'll look better.  I do wish that I had stayed with a narrower range of hues in each color, and I also wish I had skipped the white sections, but hey, it's a learning experience.  In any event it'll be really bright, and will be cozy on the rocking chair in my living room.

After Christmas I'm also going to start sewing some floor pillows for my kids' reading nook, and an ottoman for the rocking chair.  I'm going to get a lot of sewing and quilting stuff for Christmas so I'll definitely put my Christmas break to good use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment