Wednesday, June 20, 2012

WIP Wednesday

I've decided to start doing Work In Progress Wednesday. Hopefully it'll keep me working and blogging when the school year starts.

 I'm still working on the tumbling blocks quilt that I showed the other day.  Today my biggest work in progress is this.

My poor old Singer 27. The tension was seriously screwed up.  I think I have it adjusted now, but I'm almost scared to sew a big project with it.  The one down side of using antique and vintage sewing machines is that there isn't anyone in my city (that I know of) who has expertise servicing them.  There's a guy at a sewing machine retailer in the suburbs who sells treadle belts, but he told me (rather irritably) that he doesn't service treadle machines because they're "obsolete."

Whatever.  I think it's fixed now.

This is my other work in progress.


Poor old Franklin Rotary!  I got it on Craigslist for $15.  Originally it was for my dad, who wanted a vintage sewing machine because of their ease of use* and strength.  I got this for him, not knowing how many pieces it was missing. 


It's not in usable shape right now, so I got him a different machine for Father's Day.  I want to finish cleaning and start researching this one.  I'd love to restore it to its former usefulness. 

I do sew from time to time, I swear.




* Despite my complaining about my 27, the antique machines are easier to use than modern ones.  After all, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to fix anything on a modern machine.  My being able to do little service jobs on my old machines shows how user-friendly they are!  If I can do it, anyone can!

No comments:

Post a Comment