I've decided to start doing Work In Progress Wednesday. Hopefully it'll keep me working and blogging when the school year starts.
I'm still working on the tumbling blocks quilt that I showed the other day. Today my biggest work in progress is this.
My poor old Singer 27. The tension was seriously screwed up. I think I have it adjusted now, but I'm almost scared to sew a big project with it. The one down side of using antique and vintage sewing machines is that there isn't anyone in my city (that I know of) who has expertise servicing them. There's a guy at a sewing machine retailer in the suburbs who sells treadle belts, but he told me (rather irritably) that he doesn't service treadle machines because they're "obsolete."
Whatever. I think it's fixed now.
This is my other work in progress.
Poor old Franklin Rotary! I got it on Craigslist for $15. Originally it was for my dad, who wanted a vintage sewing machine because of their ease of use* and strength. I got this for him, not knowing how many pieces it was missing.
It's not in usable shape right now, so I got him a different machine for Father's Day. I want to finish cleaning and start researching this one. I'd love to restore it to its former usefulness.
I do sew from time to time, I swear.
* Despite my complaining about my 27, the antique machines are easier to use than modern ones. After all, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to fix anything on a modern machine. My being able to do little service jobs on my old machines shows how user-friendly they are! If I can do it, anyone can!