Monday, July 30, 2012

Have sewing machine, will travel

I've been trying to get more involved in my local modern quilt guild as well as trying to get more people I know to sew. That means taking my sewing machine around...not easy with a 35 pound Singer 66.
 

At first I just carried it in my arms, but that's cumbersome.  Then I put it in the plastic case it's in now.  Unfortunately it wasn't made for hand crank machines, so I need to remove the crank whenever I take it somewhere.  That's kind of a pain.  Also, I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before some part of the case breaks.  I don't think that case was meant to tote a machine that heavy. 

So now I'm looking for something to re-purpose.  I was thinking about a wheeled office cart, if I could find one the right size.  Otherwise, maybe a suitcase with straps installed inside to keep the machine from sliding around?  I don't know.  I don't want anything that looks too weird.  I need to keep thinking.

4 comments:

  1. When I went to the TX TOGA, I put my treadle head in a scrapbook tote that has wheels and a handle like a suitcase, it fit great, but a little expensive. On black Friday I found a cute one that is zebra striped for my regular sewing machine, it was $25 at Walmart. I'm still looking for a hand crank for myself that I can carry around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hand crank is a reproduction. I attached it to a machine that I found at a flea market. Someday I'd love to try an authentic hand crank machine, but it seems like I never see them up for sale.

      Delete
  2. Joann Fabrics have 40% and 50% coupons all the time. They also have sales on sewing machine cases that roll. I purchased 3 of them when they were on sale, and I had a coupon for %off of total purchase price, including sale items. Wow, 1 1/2 cases for free that way. You can also use a medium or large rolling suitcase, and, if you are careful, you can put your projects in the empty space above the machine. Maybe make a shelf area for the machine, so that the project stuff doesn't crowd the machine. Lots of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those coupons and I'm heading to Joann's today. I love those coupons!

      Delete