Tonight I finished my first round of applique - I got all of the circles onto my background fabric. Next I have to applique all of the middles on.
I still have to trim the background fabric to be an exact fit for the circles - I wanted them to go from one corner to the other, so there's some trimming to do. Here's a poorly lit iPod photo of my progress:
Appliqueing the circles made me wonder how on earth I'm going to quilt this thing. I've never quilted a quilt this large. I did make a queen sized quilt once, but I tied it instead of quilting it. I'll figure it out...generations of women before me quilted on the machines I have in my basement. Also, I appliqued using my Kenmore 52, which has a smaller harp than my Singers. The bigger harp space might help too.
I'm getting ahead of myself, though. First I have another round of applique to do along with basting...then I'll worry about the quilting part.